Patio blinds are an extremely useful addition to your patio for protecting your outside space from the sun. In order to keep your PVC blinds looking smart and in good condition, you'll need to clean them regularly. Here's how to keep your PVC patio blinds looking great!
What you'll need
- washing-up liquid
- soft cloths
- cold water
- garden hosepipe
- paper towel
PVC patio blinds are made from a tinted or clear plastic material, which is designed to stop the sun, wind, and dust from damaging your patio. Although the PVC is tough, it can be scratched so you must always use a soft cloth for cleaning, rather than anything with an abrasive surface. The plastic is also porous and can be damaged by the chemicals contained in some household cleaning products and insecticides, so just stick to using mild washing-up liquid for cleaning purposes.
How to do it
- Begin by cleaning the outside of your patio blinds. Make up a mild solution of washing-up liquid and cold water. Soak a soft, clean cloth in the solution and apply it to the blinds, beginning at the top and allowing the water to flow down to the ground.
- To get rid of bird droppings, apply extra soapy water and allow it to work for a few minutes. Don't be tempted to pick or scrub at the area, as you could damage the blind.
- Use a garden hosepipe under low pressure to wash away all the soapy water from the blinds.
- Now you can move on to cleaning the inside of the blinds. Make up a fresh batch of cleaning solution with cold water and washing-up liquid. Soak a clean cloth in the solution, wring it out to get rid of excess water, and then use it to wipe down the blinds. This should remove any dust that's clinging to the plastic.
- Fly spots can be removed by using a piece of paper towel soaked in cleaning solution; just rub gently at the spotting until it dissolves.
- Take a clean squeegee and use it to wipe away any remaining soapy water from the inside of the blinds.
- Allow the blinds to air-dry completely before you roll them up. This prevents the PVC from becoming creased and deters the growth of mildew and mould.
You should clean your PVC patio blinds regularly, both inside and out, to keep them looking good and lasting longer.