Property Development: What Approval Types Are Required for Your Project?

If you are planning on developing your land, you might need to submit some applications for approval to your local council. In general, approval is required for most projects unless they are accepted or prohibited developments. Accepted developments do not need to comply with codes or regulations. Therefore, there is no application or approval required. On the other hand, prohibited developments are not allowed. So, an application cannot be lodged or assessed. Unless your property development plan falls under these special categories, you will need to obtain approval. Here is a short discussion on the primary types of approval to help you understand the application requirements for your project.

Development Approval

Development approval is required for every major project with significant impact on the specific property and general land. In simple terms, this form of approval is required for both commercial and residential building projects. Also, you will be required to lodge an application if you intend to reconfigure a lot or install utility networks. When you present a development application, the council will assess it under all the applicable codes before approval. These codes include neighbourhood, zone, overlays and prescribed secondary codes. Additionally, the future impact of the development will be considered before approval.

Building Approval

If you are planning on building on your land as part of your development, you will need building approval certification. The document is required for every project which involves any building work under the applicable building legislation. The approval is only issued if the planned construction work complies with the national and local building codes and regulations. When assessing the building plan application, the experts consider whether the structure is correctly designed. They also make sure that the structure has adequate drainage, fire safety measures and pest protection. You should note that inspection will be required during the building process to confirm the status of the structure.

Siting Variation Approval

Finally, if you have intentions to build a structure close to a boundary, you will need a special form of approval. The siting variation assessment is designed to ensure that houses are correctly or appropriately positioned in a lot. If a building is too close to the neighbour's property, safety and legal problems might arise. Therefore, you should review the local regulations so that you can determine if you need this type of approval.

Lodging applications and obtaining approval for property development can be a time-consuming and challenging process. Therefore, you should consult an experienced contractor to provide professional guidance on development planning

About Me

Construction Contractors: Dealing with Problems

Hello, there! My name is Debbie Jones. Welcome to my new blog which is all about the problems you can face if you own a property. Last year, I moved into a place in Sydney, Australia and almost immediately started having problems. The electrical system began to fail and I didn't know why. I called in an electrical contractor who examined the wiring and discovered that there was a leak in my roof which was allowing water to drip onto a fuse box. I called in a roofing contractor who advised that I have the entire roof replaced. I had this work carried out and then had the walls of the property reinforced in order to provent further problems.



Latest Posts

9 December 2019
For building contractors, building a structure that stands the test of time is critical. It is best achieved with concrete sealers, which are separate

31 October 2019
You rely on electrical connections to supply power to your home and keep the space lit. When an electrical problem arises, some homeowners prefer to h

21 October 2019
If you are designing your new home, you should consider choosing an architect for the drafting process. In general, designing a house can be difficult